Monday, June 16, 2014

happy happy happy... For Humira!

I got cleared to go back on Humira for my Crohn's! I've been off Humira for two and a half months. In that time, my Crohn's has come back with a vengeance. It's spread through out my entire colon, and part of my small intestine. I've been in pain, and the urgency and frequency of going was the worst since around the time I was originally diagnosed.

I'm anxious. My immune system is already in the pits from the prednisone and azathioprine, and adding in Humira will only multiply the immunosuppressive effects of the two. I also have substantially upped my risk for certain forms of cancer, that have been associated with the combination therapy of azathioprine and Humira (and other biologics). I'm continuing with biweekly blood work to monitor my blood counts, and my liver function, for another factor in the equation will be how my liver reacts to the Humira. There is very little research on Autoimmune Hepatitis to begin with, let alone when occurring in someone with Crohn's. To try and find research on treatment/therapy of the two diseases together has been impossible, which adds a bit to the stress.

I'm taking it one day at a time. It's all I can do. I got to see my favorite doctor, my GI, this morning. He has helped this whole situation manageable. Live-able. Tolerable. Am I scared of what the future may hold? Am I worried about the long terms effects, of well, everything? Absolutely. Having someone in your corner though, helping to make major medical decisions, to have someone who will pick up the phone 24/7 in case of emergencies, and who will advocate in times of need. I will be following up in a month with him, and seeing my hepatologist the same morning. Fingers crossed this works, and my liver stays well behaved!

No comments:

Post a Comment