Wednesday, June 11, 2014

el jefe del hígado

Or in English, the boss of the liver. So had my last biweekly date with my hepatologist, we are now graduating to monthly appointments!

So, like as I expected from my liver biopsy pathology report, my liver is SCREWED. The biopsy has confirmed, that I've had long term, severe inflammation caused by Autoimmune Hepatitis. I'm so so incredibly lucky that my GI saw my lovely cup o' urine the day of my colonoscopy. It's what caused me to get an immediate appointment with the liver doc, and we were able to catch the early stages of acute liver failure. If I had waited even a week or so longer, I would mostly likely progressed into total liver failure, and required a transplant.

I love my liver man for his bluntness, and openness. Within ten years, I most likely will need a transplant. I have at least one full year of monthly visits, blood work, follow up and heavy duty medication to send this puppy into remission. I'm happy because I was able to taper down to 10mgs of prednisone, but it also means I have to double my dose of azathioprine... Killing my immune system further (and increasing nausea and hair loss). I am meeting with my GI Monday, and will be coming up with a treatment protocol for my Crohn's.

My saving grace, is that my LFTs continue to come down. Even when they reach the normal range, I will still have to continue meds for at least a year. I can live with it. My brain has just been so over whelmed with everything going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment