Sunday, April 6, 2014

Slice and Dice

Finally have a date for surgery.. It looks like I will be cut open April 16th (11 days). I do have to go for more pre-op testing, including bloodwork, X-rays and an ultrasound, so the date may change. One of the biggest issues thus far is that my GI, whom I love, is located about an hour and forty five minutes away (close to my parents house). My sister(who has GI issues) also seems the same doc which is one of the reasons I have yet to change. Also, my doc has a major Crohn's and Colitis research center attached to his practice, which is the most important reason why I have not left his practice yet. With Crohn's, it is so incredibly important to have a physician whom is interested in research, and that stays up to date. Considering I have only had the disease for about two years, and am on the last medicinal treatment option available, I need someone who is involved with clinical trials and new procedures.

This is going to be my first major surgery, associated with Crohn's. There is a lovely "fact" or statement from the CCFA that states that up to 75% of those with Crohn's will require surgery. Though this exact surgery is not on my bowels/intestines, I would not be needing this surgery if I didn't have Crohn's.

I will be saying goodbye to my gallbladder and some of my liver.. Typically this is all done laparoscopically but my surgeon feels that she will most likely do it through an open surgery due to an increased risk of bowel perforation.

No comments:

Post a Comment