Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Work/Life/Crohn's Balance

I love my job. I have found not only work that I am passionate about, but an amazing group of coworkers. I have found a job that is flexible, understanding and accepting.

In previous workplaces, I've had issues with missing time due to illness, countless doctor's visits and well inability to work. In the US, our sick time/leave system (for the most part), blows. Unless you are severely incapacitated or permanently disabled, there are few safety mechanisms, and legal safeguards for those with temporary illnesses, injuries or disabilities that are not lifestanding. After trials and tribulations of the legal system with my traumatic brain injury, I learned that in the US, there is often this grey abyss between becoming dependent on lifelong SSI benefits, and being a healthy fully functional employee. For those illnesses which are "invisible" this grey abyss turns into fifty shades of grey abyss, mountains and plateaus.

Crohn's Disease, and UC are not straight forward in any logical manner. Every single person is affected differently, in terms of ability, capability and "dis"ability. Just in the year of being diagnosed with Crohn's, I have developed gallbladder and liver disease. Does every indivual with Crohn's  develop these issues? Absolutely not. While there are more common complications, Crohn's, as well as UC are both far from being understood from a biologic sense. With Crohn's, there are some general complications, but so little is unterstood to make vast generalizations when it comes to long term, typical sequelae.

Still with me? At this point, complicated should be my middle name...

I'll use myself as a perfect example. I'm 25, single and female. I have a history of a traumatic brain injury, and do qualify for reasonable workplace accommodations (as I did through out school), such as fancy computer screens due to my vision issues, extended time for testing, ergonomic chairs, and adaptive equipment for my neuromuscular issues (at this time, in my current job, I have taken advantage of none of the above). I developed Crohn's a few years ago. Crohn's, like traumatic brain injuries, is too protected by the ADA act, for it is a physical impairment of the digestive system, and can impair one or more major life activities. That's fannnnntastic. But what does it mean in terms of reasonable accomendations? Close access to a restroom? The possibility to telecommute?

Keep in mind that ADA is only valid in those workplaces with 15 or greater employees.

I work for the state government, which has thousands of employees, and am also supported by a vocal union. Two years ago, in order to support myself, I found work waitressing at a small family owned restaurant. My employer did not provide sick time. My employer did not provide health benefits, and how on earth how was I to telecommute to waitressing, at a workplace not required to comply with the ADA. At the time, I was searching for other jobs, but was struggling due to the economy, my limited job skills, and unfinished degree. Was I able to work most days? Absolutely. Those days that I did miss to illness though, were uncompensated and I was lectured numerous times of missing too much work.

This is real life. I'm extremely grateful I am at a job, with unlimited sick days, 22 paid medical leave days, and 22 paid vacation days per year. This is a miracle in itself. For the other 1.4 million Americans living with Crohn's disease, this is not a reality. For a time I toyed with the idea of looking into SSI. I could not support myself with work, yet as many of those with Crohn's, knew I could work given the right accommodations and support. Unfortunately, I am an oddity. I have found a loving, nurturing workplace that will help, but my heart breaks for those who struggle daily with providing for themselves, and their families. The "system" is so disheartening.

No comments:

Post a Comment