Sunday, March 30, 2014

So in a lovely turn of events in the past two weeks, I am now prepping for an upcoming surgery. My gallbladder, thanks to chronic inflammation, is no longer functioning and must come out. I ended up in the emergency room 2 weeks ago, with a slightly abnormal ultrasound. I was then discharged and released and told to follow up with a HIDA scan to see how well my gallbladder was functioning. Lucky for me, I had no stones, but after the HIDA scan found out that my ejection fraction was under 10%. My doctor prefers surgery for anyone with a scan under 38% so... Yeah I definitely make the cut for that one.


I'm meeting with a surgeon tomorrow. One of the things my GI doc is concerned about is taking multiple liver biopsies as well as doing a biopsy of the tumor on my liver while in there. He also gave me a fair warning that I may be forced to do an open surgery rather then laparoscopically due to severity of my Crohn's and the close proximity of the diseased intestine to the gallbladder, which increases the risk of complications.

Fingers crossed tomorrow will go well, and it can get in quickly for surgery. I'm at my wits end and can't deal with the lack of sleep much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment