Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hepatitis?!

According to my great friends at the Mayo Clinic, Autoimmune Hepatitis is

"inflammation in your liver that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your liver. Although the cause of autoimmune hepatitis isn't entirely clear, some diseases, toxins and drugs may trigger autoimmune hepatitis in susceptible people, especially women.

Untreated autoimmune hepatitis can lead to scarring of the liver (cirrhosis) and eventually to liver failure. When diagnosed and treated early, however, autoimmune hepatitis often can be controlled with drugs that suppress the immune system.
A liver transplant may be an option when autoimmune hepatitis doesn't respond to drug treatments or when liver disease is advanced."

What AIH is NOT...
- It is not viral
- It is not labeled A, B or C
-It is not communicable... I did not get this from someone, nor can I give it to anyone
-curable

AIH is most common in women, those with other autoimmune conditions, and younger people. Lucky for me, I get not just one autoimmune disease, but now two. AIH is more commonly seen in those with Ulcerative Colitis over those with Crohn's, but since I love being an anomaly, it fits. Speaking of fantastic news... I also received the results of the biopsies from my colonoscopy on May 8th. Previously, my Crohn's was strictly located in my terminal ileum. Like in my previous scopes, my doctor took 20 plus biopsies from my ileum through rectum. Unlike in other scopes, every single specimen was abnormal, including specimens from my colon. I now have ileocolonic disease, and it is spreading.

Fortunately similar drugs are used to treat both AIH and Crohn's. Treatment for AIH is limited to prednisone and Azathioprine. Crohn's has many more treatment options for inflammation (even if I have exhausted many of them). I have been off of Humira for almost two months, after stopping it before my gallbladder surgery. Right now, I am taking strictly prednisone and azathioprine waiting for my LFTs to normalize. I will be starting to taper the Prednisone, and may have to adjust the azathioprine to make up for it. I also will hopefully be able to start back on Humira once my LFTs stabilize. For the bare minimum, I will have to take azathioprine for two years, for the AIH. I am thrilled that both of my doctors hate prednisone, and already have a plan for tapering. I do not do well whatsoever on prednisone, mentally or physically and I am happy that we are on the same page for that. I also get to follow up with my doctors every 3-4 weeks, along with concurring blood work.

When it rains, it pours. Lucky for me, I put on my wellies and jump in...

No comments:

Post a Comment