Saturday, October 27, 2012

Another Hurricane.

So the east coast is backing for another hurricane. Sadly, right now they are predicting direct landfall in a 100 mile radius of where I live. I live in a town right across from barrier islands, and we have a history of severe flooding even when it's a full moon. This will be our second big hurricane in less then a year, and our third natural disaster in that time. We had a lovely Derecho, which is a freak storm that causes sustained wind gusts of over 100 mph. We were without electricity for about a week, and had major wind damage.

As someone with a Master's in Public Health, I tend to worry slightly more about this things. After being forced to study natural disasters and emergency preparedness as a part of my degree, I have a much better understanding just how dangerous storms can be, especially to those who are elderly and have health issues.

Crohns is a miserable disease to have, with or without electric. My main concerns, though as minuscule as they may seem, include the ability to find restrooms, being able to flush toilets for sanitary purposes, and keeping a hold of my daily medications. Right now since I am going through a severe flare up, I am doing my best to take it easy, and stay hydrated because I want to avoid the emergency room at any cost if during a true disaster. I am worried about water supply and food supply, since my body is so sensitive at this time. Plus as all of us with crohn's know, stress is one of the worst possible things for the disease.

Hopefully we get hit mildly, and there will be nothing to worry about. Better safe then sorry. HHS so cliche. Alright time to watch my Gators pummel Georgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment