Saturday, August 16, 2014

balancing

This past Wednesday, I met with my liver and GI docs. My LFTs refuse to normalize, and are still elevated. I was already on the highest dose of azathioprine that I could be on, so it was decided to switch me to another immunosuppressant, Myfortic. It is similar to CellCept, a more commonly used immunosuppressant, but is coated, and is easier (hopefully) on the stomach. Myfortic isn't as safe as a drug as Azathioprine, and comes with more side effects. Our goal is to get my LFTs normal, and maintain normal while getting me off the prednisone.

Luckily, the Crohn's is behaving, for the most part. It will be interesting to see what happens with the switch, as azathioprine is commonly used to treat Crohn's, while Myfortic/CellCept haven't. It will be interesting to see what role, if any that azathioprine has had with controlling my Crohn's. Hopefully for my sake, it has played a minimal role, so that nothing changes with stopping it. We are also nervous for when I decrease the prednisone, as that most certainly has had a therapeutic effect, on both Crohns and AIH.

My life at this point is a balancing act. Trying to stay upright, on both feet has been a struggle, and not without consequences. I have traded away my life in order to stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment