Monday, February 3, 2014

It's baccccck

9 months. Nine glorious, virtually symptom free months. Until December. Maybe it was the holidays, or the stress of a new job. Maybe my body was like hey we are celebrating ten years post TBI, let's party. I'll never know for sure. What I do know for sure though, is that I have Crohn's, and it is back with a vengeance.

The past three years, I've had five colonoscopies. Six upper endoscopies. One small bowel series, one MR enterography, one gastric emptying test, 2 CT enterographies, and a pillcam endoscopy. Add in roughly 50 tubes of blood taken, 2 random abdomen x-rays, x-rays of each major joint, ultrasound of my hands, and I'm safe to say that in roughly 30 years, I'm going to glow in the dark.

My liver is shot to hell at this point. I have severe diffuse fatty liver, and my LFTs make me cringe. Went for additional blood work, to try to see if it's just either nonalcoholic simple fatty liver disease  or nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (more severe, scaring of liver). I'm only 25. I still have a long life ahead of me, and ain't nobody got time for permanent damage. My doc says it's hard to tell if it's from taking steroids, or from my uncontrolled inflammation, or the combination.

I will, pending insurance, be starting Humira asap.Though liver toxic, it's not quite as severe as the immunosuppressants(methotrexate, 6mp, aza). I'll be doing quite frequent LFTs to ensure that Mr. Liver is maintaining.

I'm a survivor, and have been since birth. I am a firm believer that The Lord gives us only what we can handle. The big guy upstairs must have been impressed how far I've come along since my TBI, haha. I have no other choice then to look at this in a positive light. In some ways it is much more difficult to sit and mope wonder why me...what did I deserve it get this...haven't I had to deal with enough...and so on. Nah, I'm going to use my energy instead to say oh heyyyy I've overcome much worse, I can use this to better myself, and to better the lives around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment